Did you know that pizza has its own day? National Pizza Day is February 9th! 🍕
My family loves pizza!
How do you eat pizza with good manners? Is it even possible?
You just do the best you can depending upon where you are and what you have to work with.
Most pizza nights, my family is gathered around the kitchen island, eating pizza on paper plates. Pizza night is a “we’re too busy to cook and do dishes night” or “we’re starving and craving pizza night”.
Follow these guidelines when eating pizza:
- If you have a knife available, cut the slice lengthwise to make it narrower and more manageable to pick up. You can also fold the slice lengthwise to make it neater to eat.
- Wait until the pizza has cooled a bit before taking a bite. Patience is required or you’ll have greasy cheese all over your shirt and third-degree burns on your chin. 😮
- If you have a knife and fork available than use them, but often you will not in the casual settings where pizza is served. Pizza is usually served as a “finger food”.
- Be sure to have a napkin and use it!
- Take small bites- about the size of a quarter.
Every meal is a manners teaching opportunity.
I’ve taught an hour-long manners class for elementary ages around the theme of pizza by including phone manners (role-playing in pairs ordering the pizza), tipping and politely dealing with service people (when the pizza arrived), and of course, basic table manners. Learning is more fun when you incorporate a fun theme (and delicious pizza)!
Would you like more help teaching your family good manners? For my very best tips plus simple lessons to help you teach your family good manners at home, enter your email below. I’ll send you The Busy Moms Guide to Raising Confident, Considerate, and Mannerly Kids right away.